I know we all have a love/hate relationship with deer - on the one hand they are gluttonous predators who can destroy a garden in the blink of an eye but on the other hand they are a beautiful and graceful element of life in the country. All that being said, any newborn creature is a miracle and this baby was no exception.
I got the girls on the bus and had a pow wow with two of my neighbors where it was decided I would call wildlife rescue to see what was to be done with the little guy. The very nice officer I spoke to educated me a little bit on the motherhood habits of deer and said I had to leave the baby alone because the mother had left it in a place she thought was safe so she could go off and feed herself. He felt that the fawn had wandered off from where she left him (or her, I couldn't tell - as JiaJia would say, you have to be a deer to know that...) and would probably wander back at some point.
Wouldn't you know, I decided to creep up and take a picture of the little thing and it was up and alert. As soon as I got close enough to snap - VRROOOM! It took off! Alas, the only picture I got was of our morning's excitement disappearing fast.

No comments:
Post a Comment