Thursday, July 16, 2009

My nemesis, captured

I know you're probably asking yourself, "What will she obsess about once tomato season is over?" to which I would answer, "I don't know but I'm sure it will be something..." At any rate, the tomato hornworm population has been flourishing as is evidenced by the robust little fellow pictured above. I actually imprisoned him and left him near the tomato plants on the deck in a feeble attempt to show his cohorts that this is hostile territory. Judging from the hornworm droppings on the deck this morning, it doesn't seemed to have worked so my little friend above will soon have his date with destiny.

Tomorrow we go down to Cecily's new house to help her get the final set up done. We'll be there through Wednesday then maybe we'll get to bring Sophie home with us for a few days. One of the things I love about visiting Cecily is the level of civility that exists in her house. We have a lovely cocktail on the deck in the evening followed by a leisurely dinner and dessert then conversation until it is time to retire. Way, way different than my evening routine at home.

We're even considering restarting the Ladies' Front Porch Society, which got its start when Cecily lived in her little farm house on Glen Road. Somehow we would sit on her front porch with a bottle of wine and women we knew would just show up to hang out. We're thinking we'd have to rename it to the Ladies' Back Yard Society (no front porch on the new house) but it still sounds like a great idea to me. You can never have too many smart and interesting women in your life, no matter who you are. Any of you gals out there who'd like to join, just let me know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please be sure to set up a computer on the deck and maybe I can join you that way!

Death to all hornworms!